Location: Honolulu, HI
Recruitment Number 23-068JCK, District Court Clerk I, SR-15*, Honolulu, O`ahu.
*Salary rate effective 07/01/2023.
Summary of Duties
Authors the official court record in a court of limited jurisdiction for District Court traffic and criminal arraignment or civil small claims court proceedings; prepares documents ordered by the court; and performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or equivalent. Excess experience of the type and quality described below or work experience requiring the ability to read and comprehend and apply written directions or a high degree of verbal skills may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
General Experience: Two (2) years of progressively responsible work experience which involved operation of a typewriter in the performance of a variety of clerical tasks which demonstrated knowledge of office practices and procedures; grammar, word usage and spelling; and use of standard office machines.
Specialized Experience: Two (2) years of responsible work experience in a court or legal setting which included the preparation and/or processing of legal forms and documents. Such experience must have given the applicant knowledge of the nature and purpose of legal forms and documents being handled; determining the type of information or action necessary for processing of these legal forms and documents; and determining the contents of the official permanent record.
Skill Requirement: Applicants must possess the ability to type at a rate of 40 net words per minute.
The applicant's proficiency may be evaluated by the appointing authority. Failure to meet the proficiency requirements may result in suspension of the applicant's eligibility. The Judiciary's Human Resources Department reserves the right to test an applicant when there is evidence that the applicant does not meet the proficiency requirements for the class for which the applicant applied.
Substitution of Education for General Experience:
1. Successful completion of a one-year clerical or business curriculum from a business or technical school, community college or other comparable institution above the high school level may be substituted for one (1) year of General Experience.
2. Successful completion of a two-year clerical or business curriculum from a business or technical school, community college or other comparable institution above the high school level may be substituted for two (2) years of General Experience.
3. Study at an accredited college or university in a baccalaureate degree program may be substituted on the basis of one (1) academic year of study for one (1) year of General Experience, up to a maximum of two (2) years.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience:
1. Successful completion of a legal stenographer or legal secretary curriculum at an accredited community college, business school or other comparable institution above the high school level, may be substituted for one (1) year of Specialized Experience.
2. Study at an accredited university or college in a para-legal program may be substituted for Specialized Experience on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two (2) years.
3. Successful study at an accredited school of law may be substituted for Specialized Experience on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two (2) years.
Any additional information may be attached to your online application, submitted by email to [email protected], or mailed to the following address: Hawai`i State Judiciary, Human Resources Department, 426 Queen Street, First Floor, Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813.
Education: If you are using education as a substitute for experience, you must submit a copy of your official transcripts or diploma at the time of application. If you are selected, you will need an official transcript (not a copy) indicating the completion of the training or the awarding of the appropriate degree.