Police Communications Dispatcher (Entry and Lateral Level)
Location: Fremont, CA
Examples of Responsibilities
- Receive, monitor and transmit verbal messages over a variety of communication networks.
- Receive information, questions and requests for service from callers who may be injured, confused or abusive.
- Obtain accurate information under difficult conditions.
- Record, classify and maintain records of all communications.
- Prioritize calls for service and dispatch appropriate services which affect the outcome of public safety service.
- Quickly evaluate emergency situations and develop logical working solutions.
- Learn police codes and various statutes.
- Provide information to field units, other agencies and the public.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
- $68,657-$83,464 annually
- $1,672/month 2015 health benefit allowance
- Premium Schedule– 4 days on, 4 days off
- 1 hour of workout time/shift
- Annual leave starts at 192 hours/year, 264 hours/year maximum
- 104 hours/year of holiday pay
- Exceptional CA State retirement plan
- $650 annual uniform allowance
- Opportunity for overtime pay
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Opportunities to participate in community events
- Culture of promoting from within
- Appealing work environment– Dispatch Center has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the park.
Candidates must submit a resume and typing certificate (min. requirement 45 wpm) with their application. As part of the hiring process, candidates must successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation, physical which includes drug testing (as mandated by the Department of Transportation) and be able to distinguish and interpret the meaning of colors on video display terminals.
POST Communications Dispatcher Test:
This position requires you to pass the POST Communications Dispatcher written test with a T-score of at least 51 dated within the last six months. Applicants have the following options for taking the test:
- Submit scores from other agencies
- Take the test at South Bay Academy for a $20 fee: http://theacademy.ca.gov/tests
- Wait for the City of Fremont to administer the test at no cost (offered approx. every 2 months)
POST does not allow candidates to test more than once in a 30 day period.
Contact: Mike Gilfoy, Fremont Police Department