Operational Systems Technician Supervisor
Location: Waimea, HI
Are you a skilled supervisor with experience in a scientific or technical operations work environment? Are you ready to join a dynamic and dedicated team who support telescope operations on the summit of Maunakea? If you said yes, we want to know you!
As the Operational Systems Technician Supervisor, you supervise and participate with a team of technicians to support multi-disciplinary systems at the telescope facility. These subsystems include instrumentation, telescope & optics, adaptive optics, lasers and facility electronics. You coordinate with engineering staff to ensure technicians are meeting tactical operational and project development needs. Occasionally, you provide Summit Lead support for daily tactical coordination of summit activities. As a member of the summit leadership team, create and maintain a safe and productive work environment for summit personnel.
Key aspects of the position include
- Work in a hands-on manner with and provide technical guidance to technicians in support of the telescopes, instruments, and optical systems.
- Occasionally, supervise the daily tactical coordination of day time summit activities with the primary objective of ensuring the facility is ready for night time observing.
- Through collaboration with other summit technician supervisors, and by leading by example, create and maintain a safe, efficient, effective and unified work environment for all summit personnel based on the principles of safety, teamwork and mutual responsibility for shared objectives.
- Create and sustain a work environment that allows technicians to achieve their best performance by maximizing their skillset through mentoring, professional development and cross-training. Minimize areas of critical single-point knowledge within primary areas of responsibility by forming and implementing cross-training and professional development plans.
- Coordinate with engineering staff to ensure technician work objectives and milestones are clearly and regularly communicated. Monitor tasking to ensure appropriate prioritization and successful completion of work.
- Develop procedures, processes, and documentation to support technician activities.
- All qualified applicants, including women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- AS degree in a technical field such as electrical/electronics, lasers, optics, or instrumentation; relevant experience may be substituted for a degree
- Five (5) years' work experience in scientific, technical or industrial operations.
- Supervisory experience of small teams (8 or less)
Apply to join a skilled and deeply committed team of professionals who enable exciting and important astronomical discoveries. Submit a cover letter and resume telling us how your background and passion relate to the position. To learn more about the position, see the position description below.
Read about us, our science and our mission, go to: www.keckobservatory.org. To see a video about Keck go to: https://vimeo.com/90063671
Keck Observatory offers a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits bundle including a 403(b) plan; a highly regarded tuition assistance program for dependent children (K-12 grade); and an unmatched focus of excellence.
Contact: Jeannette Mundon, W. M. Keck Observatory
Phone: (808) 885-7887