Medical Technologist (CLS)
Location: Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women and Children
Performs routine laboratory test procedures as outlined in the laboratory standard operating procedure manuals and reports test results. Adheres to quality assurance and quality control procedures in performing all testing
- Correlates clinical information and/or previous lab results and reports discrepancies to Medical Technologist, Sr. or supervisors. Consults with superiors or pathologist when no preset criteria for decision-making is available before taking action
- Collects and directs the collection of specimens with rigid attention to proper patient identification, priority status and hospital and laboratory safety and infection control policies for clinical testing
- Maintains and operates lab equipment; able to detect malfunctions as they occur by review of instruments results. Troubleshoots the problem with technologist or service representative assistance
- Ensures appropriate lab supplies are always on hand in their assigned area or department
- May be rotated to other lab locations or shifts as necessary
- Trains or instructs laboratory personnel in performance of lab tests and procedures where assigned
- Participates in developmental work on new tests
- Participates in established TQM activities, QC testing of lab reagents and maintenance of equipment. Follows protocol for running and documenting control values. Collects, evaluates, and reports quality management data in order to monitor and improve laboratory performance
- Attends and participates in continuing education programs to monitor proficiency, expand current knowledge and enhance professional excellence. Willingly shares knowledge and provides clinical orientation to other members of the staff
- Trains students from affiliated programs or new employees as assigned
- Works closely with all laboratory personnel to ensure timely client service and accurate test results
- Participates in Job Competency/Skills Check program
- Maintains open communication with supervisors, pathologists, and fellow employees to ensure optimal operation of department. Communicates pertinent information to other members of the health care team in a clinically relevant time frame to enhance the lab’s contribution to patient care
- Delivers age appropriate care for the patient population. Maintains strict confidentiality in all situations and with all documentation
- May be rotated to other lab locations or shifts as necessary
- Writes and updates laboratory procedures under supervision as required.
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance and legal requirements
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending over
- Use of hands and fingers
- Air conditioned laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), biohazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction
- May be asked to work extended hours
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer’s/patient’s point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency or crisis situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Achievement-oriented; achieves and exceeds goals; pushes self and others for results.
- ANALYTICAL: Logical, systematic, and methodical in working through a plan or problem; provides solid research on which to base decisions; establishes process for workflow.
- RESOURCEFUL: Knows how to get what is needed; manages time and workloads for maximum efficiency.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others’ time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
- Bachelor degree in medical technology or related science from an accredited program
- Current and active certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) as a medical laboratory scientist (MLS) formerly known as MT or CLS
- Valid and current State of Hawaii license as a MT
- Basic computer knowledge (Word and Excel) and skills in lab information systems is desirable
- Previous specialized experience in microbiology and blood banking is preferred for MT assigned to specific departments
- For hospital settings, additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP/Pan Pacific Pathologists, LLC takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Contact: Loren Pabila, Clinical Labs of Hawaii