Bilingual Assistant Manager_Kona (Japanese/English)
Location: Kailua-Kona, HI
- Regularly communicates with business partners in the Big Island regarding purchasing, planning and marketing to collect and report information to JHT departments such as Hotel Purchasing, DPS Planning, Look Planning and Group Tour Arrangement.
- In collaboration with Manager, plans and discusses departmental goals: carries out organizational policies, objectives and programs: explains departmental and company policies and procedures to supervisor and staff and enforces these regulations.
- Assists Manager to direct entire operational system on Big Island: dispatching, accounting for all monies and receipts, Oli Oli Station, Oli Oli Telephone center, Oli Oli Stations sales and briefings, airports, harbors, supplies inventory, Japanese/English document creations.
- Handles and resolves complaints and claims.
- Evaluates performance of supervisor and assists supervisor in evaluating staff, analyzing and solving problems relating to staff and job responsibilities, motivating, training and assisting subordinates in the performance of their job duties. Conducts individual meetings with employees. Resolves interpersonal conflicts among staff.
- Initiates or recommends actions to management pertaining to personnel, including interviewing prospective employees, hiring, promotions, transfers, discharges or disciplines.
- Expedites tour movement flow of incoming groups; adjusts briefing order when necessary.
- Responsible for operation and movement of groups throughout their stay; assigns staff at appropriate locations; prepares and conducts meetings with tour to review tour itinerary. Finalizes all tour arrangements such as transportation, accommodations, tour guides and coordinators, rental spaces for tour desk, banquets, meals, etc.; assists tour to assure that every aspect of operations functions smoothly. Resolves customer complaints.
- Acts as liaison to coordinate events and activities between hotels, vendors, airlines and other business partners and JTB customers. Communicates with supervisory staff in other sections in to ensure that all aspects of tour operations function smoothly.
- Establishes and maintains a viable communications network with management, staff and related affiliates, and with external contacts, including national, state and county government agency representatives.
- Greets VIPs at airports and harbors and follow throughout their stay with attention to special services.
- Assists the Kona Manager to respond to emergency situations on behalf of both customers and JHI employees. Assists with medical emergencies, including accompanying customers to hospital; acts as local contact for families of hospitalized or deceased customers; adjusts tour itinerary contents as necessitated by emergency; mediates insurance and payment communication between customer and parties involved.
- Oversees the inventory of meal coupons, Oli Oli phones and Wi-Fi, office supplies, and other equipment and materials.
- Studies guide books and gains knowledge to keep up with ever changing information regarding shopping, dining, accommodations, etc.
- May assist at various other CS locations such as Oli Oli station Ala Moana, if need arises.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3 years progressively more responsible work experience in travel industry, plus 3 years supervisory experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Communication skills in English; ability to read, write and speak Japanese; ability to communicate all customers in a friendly and courteous manner required.
- Supervisory skills and training skills.
- Strong personnel management skills and ability to enforce Federal, State and company regulations.
- High level of customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Hawaii’s tourism infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Japanese tour characteristics, Japanese culture, customs and protocol.
- Working knowledge and skills with basic computer systems and software, application programs, e-mail and standard office equipment. Ability to create spreadsheets, sales inputs/outputs, other documentation and business correspondence.
- Planning and organizational skills to develop every aspect of business related to structure, customer services and employees.
- Resides in Big Island is required.
- Ability to travel between Oahu, Kona and Maui.
- Ability to exercise self-control and handle stressful situations; ability to handle angry customers.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and deal constructively with conflict.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet manner.
- Possession of Hawaii State Driver’s license required.
5 days per week with varying as needed. Weekend and holiday work required. On call for emergencies 24 hours a day schedule. May entertain VIPs after office hours. Performs Japanese Answering Service on-call duties from 06:00 p. m. through 08:00 a. m.
Contact: JTB Hawaii Inc.