The nomination period for 2013 nominations is now closed. The announcement of honorees will be made in January 2012.
The University of Hawai‘i Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Awards pay tribute to those alumni who have made outstanding contributions to their professions and community, committed themselves to advancing the values and goals of the University of Hawai‘i and ensuring improvement in the quality of life for future generations.
2013 Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
2013 DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARD NOMINATION CRITERIA
Nominees must be living and meet one of the following minimum criteria:
- Received one or more degrees from one or more of the University of Hawai‘i’s 10 campuses
- Received one or more degrees from another university, but completed at least 50 percent of one degree program within the University of Hawai‘i System of 10 campuses
Selection will be based primarily on materials submitted by a nominator, with varying consideration given to the following nominee qualifications:
- Service to the University of Hawai‘i
- Service to the community
- Professional accomplishments
1. SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAI‘I
Please indicate service performed that has benefited or benefits students, faculty, fellow alumni and the UH community. If possible, indicate positions held and corresponding dates, as appropriate. This category includes, but is not limited to:
- Service as an advisor or consultant to UH students or a UH student organization
- Participation in UH committees or projects
- Providing services/support to the University of Hawai‘i
2. SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY
Please indicate service performed that has benefited or is benefiting the community. If possible, indicate positions held and corresponding dates, as appropriate.
This category includes, but is not limited to:
- Providing consultation to the community and government agencies
- Speaking and/or making presentations to public groups, organizations, panels and the media
- Serving as an officer or board member of a registered service organization
- Conducting conferences, workshops or events for the benefit of the community
3. PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Please indicate professional accomplishments, whenever possible, documented by awards or recognition received. If possible, indicate positions held and corresponding dates, as appropriate. This category includes, but is not limited to:
- Officer or board member of a professional society
- Organizer or presenter at conferences, seminars, workshops, symposia, etc.
- Chair of or participant in committees or on projects
- Attainment of a position(s) held in high regard (senior or otherwise) in a profession
- Outstanding or widely recognized contribution(s) to a profession
- Record of published material
Nominations can be submitted electronically using the online form
, or print nominations
can be mailed in or delivered in person. To be considered, all nominations should include:
- Completed nomination form
- One 8.5" x 11" page for each of the three nominee qualifications to be evaluated: Service to the University of Hawai‘i, Service to the Community and Professional Accomplishments.
You may also submit up to four additional 8.5" x 11" pages of supporting information, thus totaling no more than seven pages. We will evaluate nominees using only information provided within that seven-page limit. We will not consider oversized pages or physical collateral, such as CDs, DVDs, video clips, books, magazine tear sheets, plaques, trophies, awards and proclamations.
The nominator is responsible for submitting to the UH Foundation Office of Alumni Relations material that clearly documents why the nominee should be considered for the award. To facilitate fair judgment, please summarize the nominee’s accomplishments as requested within the space provided on the nomination form and within the page limit permitted for supporting documents.
All nomination materials, whether paper or electronic, must be received by, postmarked by, or computer time stamped by 5 p.m. (HST) Wednesday, October 31, 2012
. Submissions received, postmarked or submitted online after the deadline will not be considered. Nominations can be sent to the following addresses:
- Submit online
- Mail nominations to:
University of Hawai‘i Alumni Association
Distinguished Alumni Awards
2440 Campus Road, Unit 307
Honolulu, HI 96822-2234
- Hand deliver to:
Office of Alumni Relations
University of Hawai‘i Foundation
Bachman Hall 101
2444 Dole Street
(on the UH Mānoa Campus)
If you have any questions, contact the Office of Alumni Relations at (808) 956-ALUM (2586), toll-free at 1-877-UH-ALUMS (1-877-842-5867) or e-mail events@UHalumni.org
. If for any reason a nomination needs to be withdrawn, please inform the Office of Alumni Relations as soon as possible.